I have been in Ecuador for a little over two weeks now as a Peace Corps trainee and in between the hours of tedious training we have in our 9 hour days, I have learned a couple things about living here.
- Ecuadorians are tranquilo and will avoid conflict at all costs which means they will not say anything to upset you.
- Do not trust everything an Ecuadorian says (this refers back to number one).
- If you say you like a certain type of food to your host mom, be prepared to eat it every day.
- Vegetarianism is foreign.
- Do not make friends with the guinea pigs in your backyard as you will most likely eat them for dinner.
- Living on a 3 dollar a day salary is possible.
- Chevere means cool.
- All words have –cito at the end of them. Un pancito con mi cafecito por favorcito.
- Anything you do is everyones business.
- Men and women relationships can never be platonic.
That is it for now. I’ll be back soon with more news on how the pre-service training is going.